Sunday, February 20, 2005

filling the void martha left me when she went to prison...

this weekend has been strangely productive in areas that really don't reward me in the ways that count.

first, i'm learning to sew on an ANCIENT singer sewing machine (it has 2 stitches... note: TWO. but one comes in 3 different sizes). so far, i've hemmed a pair of pants i haven't worn in about 3 years due to its inconveniently long pant legs, converted a dress that i had always invisioned as a mid-calf - not a down-to-the-ankle, and salvaged a (fitting) salvation army find. paul and i are now in search for a pattern to make him a bag for his sword. joblessness still haunts me, so hell - why not.

i've also made about 10 bead bracelets. same bracelet. just different color patterns. they're horribly amateur, but they're mine. i also put together a pair of earrings since my last attempt didn't work out so well.

i actually cooked a full meal this weekend (i haven't cooked a complete meal in about three weeks).

i finally threw out half-dead flowers that were pleading for euthanasia from the top of the entertainment center.

i've found a new place to store my potatoes so they won't turn bad so quickly.

i've discovered that i prefer non-stick cookware, despite what people say about the dangers of teflon.

paul and i made beer-cheese-bread. yes, the bread machine is back out and in commission once again.

i found that epoxy works just as well on shoe repair as it does on bag repairs.

i realized wegmans does not carry sushi grade tuna in the middle of the winter. they do, however, occasionally give out samples of their ready-made sushi if you shop at the right time.

it dawned on me that i hate diet soda, unless it has cherry flavoring. but anything with splenda gives me a headache.

i decided to sew instead of working out. that's kind of productive, isn't it? replacing what should have been a no-output-slackoff-period into a a-very-low-yield-but-nonetheless-a-yield project time. i also haven't weighed myself in about a week, but i didn't really have a chance to feel guilty because phone conversation time with mom was cut in half due to conflicting schedules.

....

as for other news...
apparently, a law degree means i'm not qualified for anything.
i hate interviews.

3 comments:

betty said...

Wow, I am jealous of all the projects you're working on. I do nothing. Nothing, nothing, nothing.

I'm more complacent with that than I should be ;)

Sara said...

it's just a big cloud to cover up the sad state of my life.

Anonymous said...

But you know, all those things are probably things that needed doing and would never be able to do unless you had some time to spare, so it's good sweetie. I have so many pants I need to fix in some way and I never do...
Yay Jewelry. I find it really therapeutic to make stuff with beads too.
I miss king's buffet, it really was great comfort food. (Jamie used to like to go there alot.)
I totally sympathize with the job thing... and ithaca is such a shit place to be jobless in. Don't forget that you are a fabulous, sexy, dynamic, intelligent woman and that this is just a phase that you are going through to teach you something... what I don't know... sigh.

Smooches, tho. I'm thinking of you as I begin my month of HELL. Lots of screaming kids all day, every day! WOOHOO!

Aya