Sunday, September 19, 2004

It's happened at last!

Well... after the agonizing, the guessing, the moping, etc... it's happened.
And I was completely caught off guard.
I wish I could have shared the moment with you all in person (my friends and family) but I guess the World Wide Web will just have to do for now, yes? A lot of people have asked about the ring, so instead of repeating the same thing over and over again, I've posted a picture.
It's a gorgeous ring. Something I totally didn't expect, considering I told Paul that I didn't want one.
If you want specifics (color, clarity, cut, etc.) give me a call, especially if you're shopping for a ring yourself. Paul's done a ton of research, apparently, and has now become an engagement ring expert.
It's a one carat round brilliant cut diamond in the classic tiffany setting on a platinum mounting.
Mom Keller, you're right. It's exquisite. Thank you for helping Paul pick it out.


It's beautiful! Posted by Hello

I've also included pictures from the bridge where Paul proposed.
So the story goes:
Paul's parents had planned to come up for the weekend to wine tour with us in Ithaca. For a week, we'd been trying to plan events for this weekend and I cleverly suggested (so I thought) that we take them on a campus tour including a view from the famous Cornell suspension bridge. Paul had mentioned then that he had wanted to "check out" the bridge before he shows it to his parents because his dad was afraid of heights; he wanted to make sure that the bridge was sturdy enough so it wouldn't freak out his dad (to Paul's credit, his father really is afraid of heights).
Friday rolled around, and rain came. We still hadn't "checked out the bridge" by the time Paul's parents came into Ithaca. Paul was worried that we still hadn't seen the bridge, and we were scheduled to go on the campus tour the next day (Saturday). So we hopped into the car, trekked down the path to the suspension bridge in the rain to ease his fears.
I walked a few feet ahead of him so we can hurry out of the rain when Paul called me back to the middle of the bridge. I turned around (slightly annoyed) to find him standing there with ring box in his hand, when he asked if I would marry him. Of course, I freaked out in the usual manner before saying yes. (and I did say yes).
I had NO idea this was coming. When he didn't propose before our trip to California this August I figured that the proposal would not be happening for a long time. You can imagine my surprise when I saw the ring.
The bridge was a PERFECT choice, since so much Cornell folklore is tied around it. According to the legend, if a man asks a woman for a kiss on the suspension bridge, you HAVE to accept because a refusal would result in the bridge's collapse. I thought it was romantic. A proposal on a romantic bridge in the rain. It was perfect, and it was completely unexpected.
I wanted to share the moment with everybody, but since I couldn't, I'm doing the next best thing and posting pictures.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

sara, i'm ecstatic for you! beautiful ring, beautiful proposal. ah! we're all grown up!!! :)

betty said...

Congratulations, Sara! I'm so happy for you. You MUST keep me updated on all the wedding plans. Tell Paul, "good job, A+, gold star!"